Star Island is seeking two individuals or groups of individuals to coordinate one of two 2013 summer programs on Star Island. These are volunteer positions with room & board on island plus transportation to and from Star Island during the time of the program provided by Star Island.
LGBTQ Family and Friends Gathering
Star Island seeks a leader to coordinate this gathering for people who identify as LGBTQ, allies, and families. The purpose of this gathering is to create a welcoming space on Star Island and to engage with important matters in the LGBTQ community. The LGBTQ Family and Friends Gathering is currently scheduled to run from Sunday, July 14 to Saturday, July 20.
Star Island seeks a leader to coordinate this gathering for members of clergy practicing in the liberal religious traditions of the United Church of Christ and Unitarian Universalism. This gathering coincides with a week-long family program to encourage clergy members to bring their families and enjoy both workshops and family time. The Clergy Gathering is currently scheduled to run from Saturday, August 3 to Saturday, August 10.
Responsibilities for both programs include
- Working independently and with Star Island programming staff to formulate a healthy and vibrant summer gathering.
- Contacting potential speakers and workshop leaders to create a schedule of events for participants built around a theme.
- Communicate with leadership from other programs happening during the same time on island to coordinate efforts/events and schedule meeting space usage.
- Attend the entire length of the program (with room and board, ferry transportation, and program fee covered by Star Island Corporation) and provide leadership for group (e.g.: island information, schedule preparation, communicating any questions with island management, etc…).
- Communicate with Star Island seasonal summer staff to finalize details for speakers and events (e.g.: presentation requirements, meeting room requests, housing for speakers, etc…).
If you are interested in being a program leader for either the LGBTQ Family and Friends Gathering or Clergy Gathering, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please describe a program theme or topic you would use for 2013.