The generosity that makes Star Island thrive saw many milestones in 2014. Here’s a list of projects and accomplishments made possible by donations of time and money over this past year:
- The biggest operating gain in the history of the organization
- A grant from the Samuel P. Hunt Foundation supporting the restoration and re-dedication of the John Smith Monument and improvements to trail access.
- A season-long commemoration of the 400th anniversary of Capt. John Smith’s mapping and naming of New England. This map is first to include and name the Isles of Shoals.
- An occupancy total of 19,378 bednights that exceeded our budgeted goal by 128.
- The installation of a solar array and repurposing of the diesel powerhouse to a solar system control and distribution center.
- Energy load reduction of 50,000 kW due to efficiencies gained through new equipment and systems.
- Purchasing two new 80 kW diesel generators with a heat recovery system diverting waste heat from the engine to generate hot water for use in the hotel.
- Elimination of 1,000,000 BTU’s of steam boiler capacity with installation of Steibel Eltron heat pumps.
- Keeping tabs on our water usage with a visual display on the porch that tracked use from week to week.
To help Star Island continue succeeding for future generations, click here to support the Star Island Annual Fund.