The Art and Ministry of Supervision: Combining the Sacred and the Secular
Archived Conference Page
This is an archived conference page for a conference in a previous season.
Please visit the 2012 Conference Listings Page for current conference information.
This 2nd Annual conference is open to ALL UCC and UU clergy as well as ecumenical colleagues serving local congregations and other settings. Join colleagues for 6 days of programming, collegiality and time for rest and renewal as we gear up for the new church program year.
Throughout the week with Rev. Susan Beaumont, Senior Consultant with The Alban Institute, participants will:
- Develop an understanding of supervision as performance management
- Examine the interface between covenantal and employment relationships
- Understand the importance of a job description and learn how to design one
- Explore techniques for setting performance expectations
- Practice crafting the performance feedback conversation
- Explore the importance of the annual performance appraisal
- Learn to deal with the chronic underperformer
- Explore a process of progressive discipline, leading to termination
- Experiment with the creation of a team behavioral covenant, to help shape team culture
- Examine a variety of approaches for facilitating more effective staff meetings
Other happenings during the week: Morning and candlelit chapel services, silk painting, writing, sitting in a rocking chair on the porch, meeting new friends and colleagues and re-connecting with others, and much more!
Susan Beaumont has been involved in the development of leaders and organizations for more than twenty five years. Prior to joining the Alban Institute, Susan served as an Area Minister in the American Baptist Churches. Susan is an ordained minister in the American Baptist Churches, USA. Susan’s consulting work specializes in the unique dynamics of large congregations and the staff team dynamics of middle judicatories. Her work synthesizes the best of business practice with careful theological reflection.
Susan believes that “every faith-based organization has a God-given mission that is a unique reflection of the community it serves and the giftedness of its membership. A ministry that is spiritually vital, relationally whole, and organizationally strong will naturally respond to the leading of God’s spirit, discovering and engaging its mission.”
This conference is co- sponsored by the Pastoral Excellence Program of the Massachusetts Conference of the United Church of Christ and the Unitarian Universalist Association.
Registering for this conference
|Conference Programming Fee||Room & Board Deposit|
How to register
- Download the 2011 Registration Form.
- Fill out both sides of the registration form.
- Send to the Conference Registrar as directed below, along with one check for the Room and Board Deposit and Conference Programming Fee (both specified above).
- The Conference Registrar will be in touch with you after your registration is received.
Make check out to: MACUCC memo: Star Island Clergy Conference
|Adult Room & Board Rates (18+)|
|Questions about rates? Contact the conference registrar.|