Shining the Star
Star Island’s Shining the Star Campaign concluded in 2012. Click here to view a presentation on what this campaign achieved for Star Island.
Ensuring the Future
Shining the Star is a campaign launched in the fall of 2009 to preserve and enhance Star Island for the next generation of Shoalers by ensuring the long-term financial health of Star Island Corporation, and by stabilizing the facilities and infrastructure of Star Island. In the quiet phase, we tested an ambitious goal of $5 million. As we launch the public phase of the campaign, we believe that $4 million is more in line with the goals of the campaign and the challenges of the economy.
Through the generosity of our lead donors we have already raised $3.6 million with over $2 million of that committed to essential capital improvements. Based on these quiet-phase gifts the board of directors has set a total campaign goal of $4 million. The additional support for capital projects and to reach the goal must be raised in pledges and gifts by the end of this year.
Thanks to Shoalers like you, life on Star Island continues to improve through the Annual Fund and Shining the Star. These projects couldn’t have been done without your help. We have raised $2,075,095 for capital projects and $1.6 million in planned gifts. We are now focusing on raising $500,000 more before the end of 2012 to finish the critical projects identified in our Capital Improvement Plan. To the left of our Tucke-Ometer is a list of projects already completed, followed by a list of things remaining to be done. Keep checking back on our fundraising progress as we fill the Tucke to the top!
Completed projects, renovations and upgrades
- Memorial Courtyard
- Business Center
- Secondary fuel containment
- Life-safety exterior stairs for Cottage A, Shack, and Star Loft
- Replaced freight boat (the M/V Perseverance)
- Commercial laundry equipment
- Hotel complex re-roofed
- Oceanic Hotel porch doors swing corrected
- Oceanic Hotel 2nd floor bathroom renovated
- Re-shingled Newton, Baker, YPRU and Sprague
- Replaced windows in Stone Village, Oceanic Hotel and cottages
- Upgraded fire detection system
- Life-safety and renovations to Cottage A
- Upgrades to M/V Perseverance
- Founders floors, doors and deck replacement
Looking to the future
- Dining Hall soundproofing
- Cottage porch upgrades
- IAB bathroom
- Sandpiper bathroom
- Lawrance bathroom
- Oceanic 4th-floor bathroom
- Oceanic 3rd-floor bathroom
- Women’s showers
- Men’s showers
- Upgrades to kitchen
- Underworld and Pel Hall upgrades
- Restore $100,000 to Star Island reserve funds
- $1.2 million planned for Trust
For more information about planned renovations and upgrades, read Shining the Star: Ensuring the Future (PDF).