Here are some great ways to raise money for Star Island without putting a dent in your wallet:
Want to host a Starry-Night-A-Thon?
Every fall, Star Island hosts the annual Starry Night benefit. This fun, social event that began in 2009 is attended by about 200 and raised an average of $6,000 after expenses from ticket sales and commissions on art.
There is a way for everyone to be part of the fun no matter where you live by creating a Starry Night-A-Thon. Shoalers near and far are welcome to organize your own Starry Night event and join in the fun in your own region.
What would it involve to be part of the Starry Night-A-Thon?
- Find a space (your church or your home depending on number of guests)
- Plan a program (options include music, art exhibit, Star Island video or slide show, invite a guest speaker, or view “Weight of Water” about the Smuttynose murders starring Sean Penn)
- Arrange for refreshments (dessert and coffee, pot luck finger foods, spaghetti supper, or other simple options)
- Track down other shoalers in your region to co-host
- Ask for a donation at the door ($20 suggested) to benefit Star Island
- Get out invitations by going viral on the internet! Or contact the SIC Development Office for a list of shoalers in your area.
CharityBlast.com/starisland is a website that will donate a portion of every purchase you make at online stores like Target, Shutterfly, iTunes, Amazon, Staples and hundreds of others others to Star at no additional cost to you. There is no sign-up required.
Hereís how to do it:
- Go to http://www.charityblast.com/starisland
- Click ìBegin shopping to support Star Island Corporation!î
- Click ìSee alphabetical list of all storesî
- Click on a store name and begin shopping!
Star Island will get a percentage of your purchase at no extra cost to you. There are other options on there for you to sign up for coupons, but you can choose to ignore those.
GoodSearch.com is a Yahoo-powered search engine that donates a small amount for every search to the charities its users designate. Use it just as you would any search engine.
Just go to www.goodsearch.com and be sure to enter Star Island as the charity you want to support (you only have to do this once). If you want, you can set it as your homepage.
Hold a Fundraiser
So many people love Star Island. They have helped not only with generous donations of time and treasure, but also by creating treasure in the amount of nearly $20,000 through amazing fundraisers—a Pelican sponsored banquet at South Church, Portsmouth, NH, Benner’s Farm benefit with music, hay rides and other fun activities, Starry Eyed Fest, Dover Yoga Action, Dover Yogathon, Barn Dance at All Soulís in NYC, a Star Island Benefit CD of songs related to Star with Grammy Award winner Carl Sturken and many other professional musicians available at the Star Island Bookstore and over the web.
The creativity of all is welcome. Let us know your fundraising ideas—email our Justina Maji, Development Associate at or call (603) 430-6272. There are so many ways you can give back!
Donate your Unwanted Vehicle
Have a great car you canít sell because of mechanical problems? Donít trade it in for next to nothing! Donate it to Star Island. It can be worth more to you than the dealer offers in trade in. Itís easy, tax deductible and best of all, it will provide Star Island with funds to help us accomplish our mission.