The third annual Gosport Regatta will set sail from the start line in the Piscataqua River basin on Saturday, June 9, at 11:00 a.m. Race classes include cruising, racing, and J-24, as well as a team cup for yacht clubs entering three or more boats.
The centerpiece of this new conference features a sail race that was first hosted in 1874 and carries the tradition of winning the Oceanic Cup, first won by the original yacht “America.” Follow the race from the starting line on the M/V Thomas Laighton and come ashore in time for lunch, entertainment by the Funky Divas of Gospel and best views of the finish line. The awards reception and dinner bring race crews and spectators together in the Oceanic Hotel dining room. A lecture on New Hampshire’s maritime history will be presented on Sunday following brunch with the Kat Gang Jazz Band.
The original race was organized by John Poor, president of the Stickney & Poor Spice Trading Company, to celebrate the grand opening of Star Island’s Oceanic Hotel. More than 50 boats participated in the first race. The race was won by the famous yacht America in 1875 ─ the sailboat for which the America’s Cup is named.
The PSA serves the sailing community in the Seacoast by organizing a weekly schedule of races through the summer, plus special weekend regattas. Its mission is to expand awareness of, education about, and participation in the exciting sport of sailboat racing. Boat ownership is not a requirement for membership or participation and anyone interested in crewing on a boat is encouraged to join. For more information, visit PSA’s website at www.sailpsa.org.
Want to host a Starry-Night-A-Thon?
Shoalers near and far are welcome to organize your own Starry Night event and join the fun in your own region.
What would it involve to be part of the Starry Night-A-Thon?
- Find a space (your church or your home depending on number of guests)
- Plan a program (options include music, art exhibit, Star Island video or slide show, invite a guest speaker, or view “Weight of Water” about the Smuttynose murders starring Sean Penn)
- Arrange for refreshments (dessert and coffee, pot luck finger foods, spaghetti supper, or other simple options)
- Track down other shoalers in your region to co-host
- Ask for a donation at the door ($20 suggested) to benefit Star Island
- Get out invitations by going viral on the internet! Or contact the SIC Development Office for a list of shoalers in your area.