Room And Board Policies And Procedures
Relationship of the Star Island Corporation and Conferences
Conferences will be scheduled to occur at times pursuant to an annual schedule established by the corporation. The corporation will give all conferences as much notice as possible of any change to the conference schedule and will provide an opportunity for representatives of any conference to appear before the corporation and present their opinions and questions regarding changes to the current schedule.
Conference Filling Goal
In order to ensure the financial integrity and viability of the corporation and its ability to maintain the island and its facilities for all conferences, it is vital that the island be used to its capacity at all times during the conference season. To this end, the conferee attendance (filling goal) for each conference is projected and set by the corporation after internal analysis and consultation for each conference. Conferences are responsible for bringing to the island, the number of conferees set by the corporation, for the entire duration of the conference. Conference leadership and SIC have worked collaboratively to set attendance goals tailored to each conference for the 2014 season (see your conference’s “Letter of Understanding” for details).
If a conference cannot meet its attendance goal by its deadline, SIC will attempt to fill all open rooms with individuals or other small groups/conferences and explore other means of addressing under enrollment.
- 3 weeks prior to your conference, the Conference Registrar and Island Registrar should discuss current registration numbers and attendance goal to determine potential over/under subscription.
- 2 weeks prior to conference, if it is not likely the conference will achieve its attendance goal; the Island Registrar will reduce the allotted attendance goal and begin to accept others to fill rooms as stated above.
Room and Board Information
Room and board rates are set and published yearly. Adult rates vary by room type – Standard Room -Shared , Single Upgrade, or Motel Unit. Youth rates are based on age at the start date of the conference. Published rates include room and board, all meals, and boat transportation on the designated conference runs. All rates are per person. Separate room and board rates exist for conference overnight guests.
Room and board bills are payable on the island through the Front Desk. Payment in full for all charges prior to leaving the island is required.
- Check: Personal and traveler’s checks are accepted for bill payment. Conferees may cash a personal check at the front desk during regular business hours (to a limit per checking account of $100 per visit to the island) and use to purchase items from the island stores. Note: There is a $25 service charge for returned checks.
- Debit and Credit Cards: We accept VISA, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover for bill payments. We accept debit cards from these providers (logo on the card). We do not offer cash back through card payments.
- Star Island Gift Certificates
- Foreign Currency: We cannot accept foreign currency except for Canadian checks payable in U.S. funds.
Late Payment Fee: If you are unable or forget to pay the full amount of your bill prior to leaving the island, you will be charged a $25 late payment fee.
Room And Board Deposit & Cancellation Policies
Star Island Corporation requires a deposit toward room & board fees with registration. For conferences 4 nights or less, the deposit is $100/person (ages 6+). For conferences 5 nights or more, the deposit is $200/person (ages 6+).
Registrants may cancel at any time, although the cancellation policy follows specific dates in conjunction with the conference start date in regards to a refund of deposit and/or charge of entire R &B fees.
- Up to 4 weeks prior to conference start date: Deposit is fully refundable.
- Less than 4 weeks prior to conference start date: Deposit becomes non-refundable.
- Less than 2 weeks prior to conference start date: Registrant will be charged entire R & B fee.
Exceptions to the cancellation policy resulting from extreme circumstances are made solely at Star Island’s discretion. Conference Registrars may inquire directly with the Island Registrar in these situations. Non-refunded deposits and R &B fees we collect according to the terms of this policy cannot be acknowledged by SIC as donations.
Conference Registrars should always notify the Island Registrar of all cancellations made at any point after your conference’s registration period has opened.
Refunds of Conference Programming Fees are made solely at the discretion of conference leadership and have no effect on the decision of Star Island to provide a deposit refund in respect to its policy. We recommend that conferences match their programming fee cancellation deadline to the Star Island Corporation’s room and board cancellation deadline in order to make things less confusing for conferees.
Star Island is committed to making our unique summer experience affordable for all. SIC has in place several discount programs improving affordability for new families, former staff, and new groups. All discounts are mutually exclusive and can not be combined. Star Island will utilize the discount that offers the best value in cases where multiple discounts may apply. All efforts will be made so that discounts will be applied to those that qualify regardless if it was requested. So, even when a registrant forgets to mention or doesn’t realize there is a discount available, they will receive it off their R&B bill. The Island Registrar will mark eligibility when requested on a registration in the database and will contact the registrant to inform them of the eligibility status.
Details on the discounts can be found on the Discounts web page.
Conferee Arrivals and Departures at Unconventional Times
Late Arrivals & Early Departures
Conference Overnight Guests (Cog’s)
A Conference Overnight Guest is any person not staying the full duration of the conference (even if only by one day). This is also a way for new people to come and try out a conference. Arrival and departure independent of the conference presents logistical and administrative considerations. The Island Registrar will work with the Conference Registrar prior to the conference in order to ensure all expectations are met for these conferees, staff, speakers, etc. COG’s should, however, be aware that occasionally issues do arise such as check-in and check-out times, bill availability, and boat list inaccuracies. SIC will work to ensure these issues are resolved in a timely and efficient manner.
Conference overnight guests have full access to all conference programming during their stay on Star, however, we do not want them to “box out” full-length conferees. For this reason, we recommend that conferences pick a date after which they will accept COG’s. Typically, conferences expected to reach their conference filling goal wait until May 1st before accepting COG’s (so long as their filling goal has not been exceeded). Conferences concerned they will not reach their conference filling goal, usually start accepting COG’s as early as March 15. Any registrant that does not stay the full-length of a conference is considered by SIC to be a COG. Conference Overnight Guest R & B fees have a separate rate chart based on occupancy and the number of nights on-island. The COG R&B fee is not calculated by dividing the full-length conference rate by the number of night’s on-island.
Have a plan to welcome late arrivals to the conference so that they can get up to speed with the conference.
Conference Overnight Guests Must:
- Verify availability and confirm travel arrangements (Laighton Schedule) in advance with the Conference Registrar. Transportation aboard the Thomas Laighton is included in the COG R &B rates. If travel date/time prohibits using the Thomas Laighton for transportation, COG’s must arrange and additionally pay for that transportation. Under no circumstances can SIC deduct any amount from R&B fees due to unconventional travel time expenses.
- COG’s arriving late will appear on a daily boat list sent to the Thomas Laighton which will allow them free passage on their designated travel day. COG’s should always tell the ISSCO parking attendant they are “arriving late for the conference” or will be “departing early from the conference” so they can park the vehicle in an appropriate location. All COGs will have parking added to their bill. This is because we do not have an attendant in town to take this information. Parking charges can be subsequently removed by the Island Registrar if parking was not utilized.
Conference Leadership Early Arrivals
Day Before: With prior approval, each conference may have up to six early-arrivals the night before their conference begins. This option is typically limited to conference leadership and their families and availability is highly dependent on available housing and boats. The R &B fee for the extra early night is discounted and can be found on the Contiguous Overnight Guest rate chart. Please consult the Island Registrar with information of those interested in this option for approval.
Early arrivals coming the day before the conference should:
- Upon arriving at the ISSCO dock, check in with the parking attendant. Tell the attendant that you are a Star Island conference leader arriving early and what your scheduled departure date is. You will be charged an additional day for parking by Star Island and you will have to transport your own luggage aboard the Thomas Laighton.
- Upon arriving on Star Island, check in at the front desk.
- Understand that our primary attention is devoted to the conference currently on the island, so island staff and meeting rooms may not be available until the next morning. But feel free to ask!
- Be aware that the room you are assigned for the early night typically will not be the same room will be assigned for the conference week. You will need to move your belongings out of the room in the morning to allow for Chamber to make-up the room for conferees assigned to that room. You may store your belongings in the Hotel lobby if your assigned conference room is not ready.
Day Of: Alternatively, each conference may have up to six conference leaders arrive early on the day the conference is scheduled to begin. Main season conferences that begin on Saturday are asked to have conference leaders come out to the island on the 6:45 a.m. Thomas Laighton so they can attend a planning meetings with island staff before the conference arrives. Due to ISSCO’s regular business, SIC is limited to the 6:45am Laighton run to Star Island; leadership should plan accordingly. The Island Registrar should be advised of those members of leadership who will arrive early as to ensure they are recorded on the proper boat lists.
Early arrivals coming the morning of the conference should:
- Upon arriving at the ISSCO dock, check in with the parking attendant. Tell the attendant that you are a Star Island conference leader arriving early and what your scheduled departure date is. You will have to transport your own luggage aboard the Thomas Laighton.
- Upon arriving on Star Island, check in at the front desk.
- Be aware of departing conference and that your assigned room will not be ready to check-in. You may store your belongings in the Hotel lobby until your room is ready.
- Meet with Island staff in the Writing Room at 10:15.