Spring Volunteer Weekends 2018
Thanks for your interest in volunteering on Star Island this spring! We can’t wait to start opening up the island, and we couldn’t do it without all our hard-working volunteers.
Please review this page for information about the spring volunteer weekend experience, and fill out our spring volunteer application to sign-up!
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Housekeeping and Cleaning
Housekeeping is one of the largest areas of need on the island. Our Living and Public Spaces crew (LPS!) needs help dusting, sweeping, mopping, and washing walls, windows, and furniture.
Grounds work includes mowing the lawn, killing poison ivy, and simple landscaping work. Assisting our groundskeeper may require use of power equipment for mowing and weed whacking.
Volunteer weekends keep our kitchen and dining spaces busy! Each weekend our food service staff could use help with food prep, dish washing, meal set-up, making coffee, and other cooking and cleaning tasks.
Moving & Hauling
If you choose this work, you might be helping the truck crew move the food from the dock to the kitchen, for example. There is always a lot of work requiring strength on the island!
Help take care of the island’s many flower and vegetable gardens! Tasks are varied and may include weeding, selecting and cutting flowers for floral arrangements, starting seeds, transplanting, harvesting veggies for meals, and watering. The island is also home to a small poultry flock and, if interested, volunteers may be involved in everyday poultry care and management: feeding, watering, and cleaning the coop.
Do you have professional skills you’d like to share?
Some of the work we need help with is more specialized, like painting, chair caning, carpentry, maintenance, and information technology projects. Please let us know on your volunteer application if you have experience in these areas and would like to help out!
Important Information to Consider
- Star Island spring volunteer work weekends are physical in nature. Requirements can include, but are not limited to, lifting up to 50 pounds at a time. If you have difficulties with climbing stairs or lifting objects, consider volunteering in the summer when we have less physically demanding work available for volunteers, and are just as thankful for the extra help!
- In the spring, winterized systems are not yet up and running, and facilities are limited. If this is outside of your comfort zone, you may be happier volunteering on Star during the conference season.
- Star Island is a small island in a remote location with access only by boat. Although there is a first aid station on the island, it is equipped for only basic emergency and first aid treatment and may not be staffed at all times.
- Safe and legal use of alcohol is an essential part of the community we are creating on Star Island. If you are 21 years of age, you are committing to the following – 1.) Responsible/safe alcohol consumption 2.) Never providing an underage person with alcohol (to do so = immediate dismissal). Do not apply to volunteer on Star Island if you are unwilling to 100% commit to these rules.
- While there will be time to relax and socialize in the evening, you should come prepared to put in 8 hours of old-fashioned hard work each day.
- All volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
- We seek people who want to give something back to the island they love. This is no vacation, but is a wonderful way to experience Star Island with others who share that love.
The deadline to apply for spring volunteering is March 18, 2018. We will have our volunteer crew lists finalized by mid-April.
If you have any questions now, feel free to contact Ally Miner, Assistant Conference Center Director, at email@example.com.
Star Island depends on dedicated volunteers who love the island to keep it well-maintained. We deeply appreciate your interest in volunteering, and hope to see you at Star Island in 2018!