Artist-in-Residence (AIR) Program 2022
In the spirit of the Isles of Shoals’ historic allure, selected artists are invited to stay and work on the island for one week in the summer. Star Island provides space for them to exhibit works for sale in the lobby of the 19th century Oceanic Hotel.
The residency requires the artist to share their time and talent in various ways with those who cherish Star Island.
Each artist works with Star Island staff to generate a fruitful partnership with whichever conferences happen to be on Star during the residency. In return for a one-week stay with room and board, the residency requires the artist to do the following:
- install a small show of 5-10 works on a dedicated exhibition space in the lobby of the 19th century Oceanic Hotel. These artworks will be for sale, with 50% of sales going to Star Island Corporation,
- communicate and work closely with Star Island staff to schedule one public event offering open to conference-goers. This could be a workshop, art talk, lecture presentation, or live demo. In addition, the artist will offer a separate one-evening art activity just for the staff (employees referred to per tradition as “Pelicans”),
- post daily “porch hours,” (of any duration) during which the artist works on the hotel’s spacious front porch and interacts with conferees and visitors,
- remove any solvents, solvent-soaked rags, etc off island at the end of the residency, and
- strongly consider donating a work (created on island or not) to a Star Island Corp. fundraising event (ex. the Starry Night auction).
These commitments having been met, the artist in residence is free to explore and work around the island at their pleasure.
The island’s Vaughn Cottage Museum Curator will be available to work with artists, sharing the island’s collection of historical materials, art, and artifacts.
Artists working in a variety of mediums will be welcome, including oil, acrylic, and watercolor painting indoors or en plein air (working outdoors). The island’s Art Barn studio or other indoor location will be made available as needed.
Please note: All overnight visitors to Star Island who are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine are required to be fully vaccinated (and expected to be up to date on boosters) to come to Star Island this summer.