Spring Volunteer Weekends
Spring Volunteer Applications closed April 20th, with assignments to go out at the end of the month. If you didn’t apply in time and would like to see if there are any spots left, email email@example.com.
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Housekeeping and Cleaning
Housekeeping is one of the largest areas of need on the island. Our Living and Public Spaces crew (LPS!) needs help dusting, sweeping, mopping, and washing walls, windows, and furniture.
Landscaping and Gardening
Landscaping may include mowing the lawn, cleaning up walking paths, pruning trees/bushes, chipping brush, and helping with invasive plant maintenance. Tasks often require the use of power equipment including lawn mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, and a brush chipper.
Star Island has several perennial gardens, window boxes, and container plantings. Gardening work may include planting and transplanting, watering, weeding, deadheading, pruning, mulching, and other garden chores. An experienced volunteer gardener familiar with the island plantings will supervise spring gardening. Familiarity with garden perennials is helpful but not required. If time permits gardening volunteers may also help with the island vegetable and herb gardens.
Both landscaping and gardening require the ability to be outside for a full day of physical work.
Volunteer weekends keep our kitchen and dining spaces busy! Each weekend our food service staff could use help with food prep, dish washing, meal set-up, making coffee, and other cooking and cleaning tasks.
Moving & Hauling
If you choose this work, you might be helping the truck crew move the food from the dock to the kitchen, for example. There is always a lot of work requiring strength on the island!
Do you have professional skills you’d like to share?
Some of the work we need help with is more specialized, like painting, chair caning, gardening carpentry, maintenance, and information technology projects. Please let us know on your volunteer application if you have experience in these areas and would like to help out!
Important Information to Consider
- Star Island spring volunteer work weekends are physical in nature. Requirements can include, but are not limited to, lifting up to 50 pounds at a time. If you have difficulties with climbing stairs or lifting objects, consider volunteering in the summer when we have less physically demanding work available for volunteers, and are just as thankful for the extra help!
- In the spring, winterized systems are not yet up and running, and facilities are limited. If this is outside of your comfort zone, you may be happier volunteering on Star during the conference season.
- Star Island is a small island in a remote location with access only by boat. Although there is a first aid station on the island, it is equipped for only basic emergency and first aid treatment and may not be staffed at all times.
- Safe and legal use of alcohol is an essential part of the community we are creating on Star Island. If you are 21 years of age, you are committing to the following – 1.) Responsible/safe alcohol consumption 2.) Never providing an underage person with alcohol (to do so = immediate dismissal). Do not apply to volunteer on Star Island if you are unwilling to 100% commit to these rules.
- While there will be time to relax and socialize in the evening, you should come prepared to put in 8 hours of old-fashioned hard work each day.
- All volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
- We seek people who want to give something back to the island they love. This is no vacation, but is a wonderful way to experience Star Island with others who share that love.
Star Island depends on dedicated volunteers who love the island to keep it well-maintained. We deeply appreciate your interest in volunteering, and hope to see you at Star Island!