As a historic facility in a remote, marine location, keeping up with the facilities needs of Our Spirit’s Home is a constant challenge. With the generous support of donors like you, we will continue to meet this challenge so that the Star Island experience may be enjoyed by generations of Shoalers to come.
Recently completed capital projects include renovations to the Kiddie Barn and the Shack (Pelican housing), historic preservation of the Oceanic, accessibility improvements such as refinishing the Chapel path, and rebuilding the Summer House. Current and upcoming Capital Projects include:
- Replacing our Wastewater Treatment Facility to decrease our energy use, improve our sustainable practices, and minimize our environmental footprint
- Rebuilding Brookfield / Rutledge Marine Lab to provide a welcome center, educational hub, and multipurpose gathering space for all Shoalers
- Renovating the Underworld to improve egress and fire safety, while enhancing an important community space for our beloved Pelicans
- Reconstructing Doctors Cottage to expand housing for our growing senior staff team
- Weatherizing the Caswell and Gosport sections of the hotel to preserve these historic landmarks
- Rebuilding the Motel Units to increase the number of first floor accessible rooms, upgrade amenities, and raise our capacity
To support these projects, or to make another restricted gift to Star Island, please contact Peter Squires, Director of Development.
Shining the Star Campaign Completion
Star Island’s Shining the Star Campaign concluded in 2012. A few of the important improvements this campaign helped facilitate include the establishment of the Memorial Courtyard, important island-wide maintenance and safety improvements, renovations to Cottage A including significant accessibility improvements, Dining Hall soundproofing, upgrades to island bathrooms and showers, and $2 million planned for the Star Island Permanent Trust.
We are grateful to everyone who supported this important campaign, which helped shepherd Star Island into an era of prosperity and growth.