What to bring to Star Guide
Even if we must adhere to the 40 lb. bag limit, there are some things that you can tuck into your luggage that will make your Star experience even better. We humbly present these suggestions.
Clothing: (extra for kids is always a good idea)
Dress is casual except on Friday evening when some like to dress up for the banquet dinner.
Suggested packing list:
- 1 Pair pajamas
- 2-3 Pairs shorts/skirts
- 1-2 Long sleeved shirts
- 4-5 Short sleeved shirts
- 1-2 Pairs long pants/jeans and or sweatpants/fleece pants
- Bathing suits (especially for children) and Towels
- Underwear & Socks (including one warm pair)
- Something Warm—A fleece, sweatshirt, or the like. The nights can get cold. Extra blankets for beds are always available, but something for your person is wise.
- Rain coat —a critical item on Star.
- Bathrobe/Muumuu— for going back and forth from the showers/ swimming, etc.
- Pair sturdy shoes (hiking shoes or sneakers with laces) and/or pair sturdy sandals (with straps — like Tevas)
- Extra shoes —Shoes can get wet and muddy.
- Flip-flops and/or water shoes—for going to and from shower and to and from the rocky swimming beach
- Dress-up clothes for banquet night—Most people dress up for the Friday night event.
Though there is a Lobby Store (but NO pharmacy) that sells many personal care products, you should plan to bring a full array of toiletries for each family member including:
- Hand sanitizer
- Small first aid kit/Band-Aids/over the counter pain reliever
- Daily toiletries – Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Dental floss, Mouthwash, Shampoo/conditioner
- Deodorant, Feminine hygiene products.
- Meds—if you take daily medication and/or allergy relief – pack a few days extra in case inclement weather strands us out on Star (unlikely, but possible!).
- Baby wipes (in the convenient travel-sized pack)—helpful for cleaning up on non-shower days and after lobster night.
- Sunscreen, Sunglasses, Sun hat—we’re surrounded by the ocean and the glare, even on overcast days, can be quite intense.
- Bug repellent & Anti Itch Cream
Hair dryers can only be used outside the shower room in the basement of the Oceanic!!
- Flashlight or headlamp— for crisscrossing rocky paths in the dark. A reading lamp is also a good idea!
- Chargers— for your kindle, iPad, phone.
- Cash—Even though the Front Desk & Gift Shop take credit cards, the Snack Bar won’t, although you can charge things there to your room. The auctions take cash & checks.
Nice to have:
- White cotton clothing/sheets for tie dying.
- Other items — binoculars, books, cameras, games, Journal/sketch pad, Cards, Reading material (good bookstore in the lobby, too), Pens/paints/markers.
- Recreational supplies: kites, tennis rackets, bubble wands, any other small outdoor toys for sharing
- Instrument(s) in carrying case, music, and/or props for the Talent Shows! (There is a piano available to all.)
- Softball mitt for the always fun staff/conferee game.
- Real Maple Syrup— for those who prefer that over pancake syrup
- Adult Beverages — Aside from the daily fellowship/social hour, there may be occasions for those of legal age to imbibe responsibly in a convivial atmosphere.
- Alcohol and cigarettes are NOT for sale on Star Island, and both may only be used in approved areas.
Some incidentals are available in the Lobby Store, and in some instances an Island messenger can be dispatched. The absolute best things to bring are an open mind, a love of the sea, a friendly smile, and a sense of adventure!