Thank you for your interest in working on Star Island!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there is currently a lot of uncertainty regarding working on Star Island in 2021. Our board of directors, staff, Health Committee, and others are working hard to plan for a safe reopening of the island as the health and safety of our staff and guests is a top priority. While we know that some aspects of living and working on Star will need to change, our goal is to preserve that which is special about the experience, but to do so in innovative and safe ways.
Applications for 2021 are provisional with the understanding that COVID may impact our ability to offer jobs on Star Island and may impact applicant’s ability to work on Star.
If you have specific questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to email@example.com.
Before you complete your application, please take a moment to review the following information:
- Due to the nature of employment which require both living and working on Star for the summer and due to some of the responsibilities required for the jobs, we hire people who are 18 years of age or older.
- Dates of availability are an important aspect in our hiring process. With few exceptions, we aim to hire employees who can be available for the start of training and orientation on June 13.
- Our ability to staff effectively and provide consistent service to our guests requires us to give special attention to leave dates when hiring. We encourage you to carefully consider the dates of availability you list on your application as you will be held to them, if hired. While our season runs through September 22, ideally the majority of our employees will be able to stay through August 29 or later.
- There are a wide variety of positions and crews listed on our application however, many of them are small crews or “crews of one” and certain positions require specific skills or training. Realistically, many of our first year applicants typically work on the following crews: Housekeeping Crew, Kitchen Crew, Snack Bar Crew or Waitrae. If you have specific skills or interest in some of the other positions listed, please be sure to include it on your application.
- Truck/Waterfront Crew and Harbor Launch Operator require specific certifications or licensing. You must have or obtain a lifeguard certification prior to the start of the season if you are hired for the Truck/Waterfront Crew. If you do not have the certification or are unwilling to obtain it, do not apply for this crew. Applicants who apply for these roles should send a copy of their certification or license to our office.
- We encourage all applicants to send in a supplementary cover letter and/or resume to accompany their application. That can be mailed to our office or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- First year applicants are required to have two references completed for their application to be considered complete. References from family members are not accepted. Additional reference forms are encouraged but not required.
- If you have an questions regarding applying to work on Star Island, please contact our Office Manager, Kate Brady at: email@example.com
Or download a hard copy of the application. If you need a hard copy application and do not have access to a printer, please let us know.
Warning: the on-line application form will time out after 10 minutes. If you do not receive a confirmation email your application has not submitted correctly.
Please note: If you have never worked on Star Island, you must submit two reference forms. These could be from an employer/supervisor, professor, advisor or school guidance counselor, principal, teacher, minister or religious education director, etc. References from family members will not be considered. Additional peer or character references (beyond 2 required references) are encouraged.
Your application will be considered incomplete if both references are not received or postmarked by January 31st.
Please provide your references the reference form:
Important Note about Alcohol Use on Star Island:
Safe and legal use of alcohol is an essential part of the community we are creating on Star Island. In this spirit, we want to notify potential applicants of the following:
If you are under 21 years of age, you are committing to not having any alcohol for the summer. Do not apply to work on Star Island if you are unwilling to 100% commit to this.
If you are 21 years of age or older, you are committing to the following – do not apply to work on Star Island if you are unwilling to 100% commit to these:
- Responsible/safe alcohol consumption;
- Never providing an underage person with alcohol (to do so = immediate dismissal).