Program Marketing And Communications
The most effective way to bring people to Star Island is by word of mouth. Here are some tips for bringing in more registrations so that you have a full and vibrant program:
- Create an outreach strategy using the offering from the Beloved Community taskforce on how to market your conference in such a way that you can attract new people from diverse backgrounds
- Reach out to a few enthusiastic Shoalers from your Conference to ask if they will help with outreach efforts.
- Reach out to your Shoalers and ask them to bring a friend this year.
- Look at the people who came to your conference the last few years, and contact those that haven’t yet registered (we can help you out with lists if you don’t have them).
- Does your theme speaker have an email list? A book tour? A website? Work with your speakers, workshop leaders and other staff to bring their people to Star.
Use social media to engage with your conferees throughout the year – a great way to maintain a sense of community, keep your Shoalers coming back and encourage them recommend your conference to others. Don’t forget to use our promotional videos, which can be found here: https://starisland.org/the-island/videos/
Minister Overnight Program
This program is offered to ministers who have never been to the island in order to promote your conference and Star Island in general to their congregations. Your conference may invite a minister and his/her guest to visit Star for the night as a conference overnight guest. The minister and guest are encouraged to participate fully in conference activities. We provide one night’s room and board for the minister and guest, however all other expenses must be covered by the individuals or your conference. Your conference is encouraged to waive any registration fee and to cover the costs of boat fares and parking. Typically, only one new minister is permitted during your conference, but if you feel that a second minister would promote your conference and Star Island in a beneficial way, please contact the Island Registrar.