Star Island, an historic island off the Maine and New Hampshire coast, seeks an intern to assist our seasonal Museum Curator in operating and organizing the Vaughn Cottage Museum and Library during the summer of 2015.
Duties may include any of the following:
- Complete projects relating to record keeping and PastPerfect
- Transfer paper data to PastPerfect system
- Inventory collections against PastPerfect records
- Staffing museum during open hours by greeting guests, answering questions, maintaining security of items, and providing customer service.
- Learn Star Island and the Isles of Shoal’s fascinating history as a 1600s fishing village, a famous 1800s resort and present day conference center.
- Lead historical tours of Star Island and/or Appledore Island (tour themes are general island history and ghosts & graveyards).
- Special projects as assigned by Program & Outreach Coordinator.
This internship is paid a $1,000 stipend, and is provided room and board while on island in dormitory style housing. Island residency is required 6 days per week with a specific schedule coordinated with the Program & Outreach Coordinator.
The dates of the internship are flexible with a preferred start date around June 8 and end date around August 28, 2015.
- Working knowledge of PastPerfect.
- Currently enrolled in museum studies or library science program at an accredited university or college.
- Interest in New England history.
- Requires standing, stretching, bending, walking, lifting, climbing stairs, and transporting equipment; working at a computer; must be physically and mentally capable of functioning in a fast-paced work environment in a community setting.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to walk around island with uneven and rocky terrain.
- Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by April 30.
- Please include contact infomration for two professional references.