So you’ve heard that Star Island is holding an event called Starry Night on Saturday, November 23 at the Discover Portsmouth Center, but maybe you’re wondering, what exactly is Starry Night? Certainly you can look up at the sky during the evening and see your own starry night; why would you attend Star’s Starry Night? Here’s a brief description and suggested itinerary for how to spend your Starry Night with us.
Starry Night is, very simply, a fundraiser for Star Island. Through ticket sales and a silent auction, Star Island raises money to support our non-profit mission. Silent Auction? Yes, we have a number of outstanding offerings for Starry Night. Items include amazing pieces of art, gift certificates to local businesses and tickets to concerts and sporting events. You can even win yourself a night on the town with Star’s beloved CEO Joe Watts.
First thing: come to Portsmouth! Portsmouth will be buzzing this weekend, so thanks for choosing Starry Night. Now that you’re in Portsmouth:
Saturday, November 23
- 9:00 AM – Enjoy breakfast at Colby’s Restaurant. There will probably be a line, but the food is delicious.
- 10:30 AM – Take a drive along US RT 1-A through the town of Rye, NH and take a glimpse of the Isles of Shoals. Our winter caretaker is on-island tending to matters, so know that everything is safe. Stop at one of the turn-offs and take a picture. If you strike a pose just right, it could even look like you’re holding Star Island.
- 11:30 AM – The Seacoast Science Center is open for visitors. Stop by and play in the touch tank to learn more about the Gulf of Maine — just as if you were visiting our Rutledge Marine Lab during the summer.
- 1:00 PM – There are so many places to eat in Portsmouth you may want to explore a few. Then you’ll know a great place or two to return to before or after your summer 2020 Star Island visit.
- 2:30 PM – Stroll the streets of Portsmouth. From independent booksellers to locally owned galleries, Portsmouth has a number of interesting and unique shops to pique your interest. And if you’re in need of something sweet, we suggest a stroll down the far end of State Street to visit either our favorite chocolate shop or ice cream parlor.
- 5:00 PM – Stroll into Starry Night and schmooze, eat and drink while perusing the auction. You’ll be entertained by the music of local musician Seth Gooby. Eat some delicious food provided by our friends at the Kitchen. Peter Paul is donating wine for the event, and Chapel and Main is donating the beer.
- 5:30 PM – Enjoy a brief fascinating talk by Eric Masterson about his adventures following the migration of the Broad-winged Hawk by bicycle to South America.
- 6:00 PM – Continue to mingle, eat, drink and bid. The auction closes at 7!
- 7:00 PM – Starry Night concludes until next year and you’re free to gallivant around Portsmouth. Go grab some dinner!
Thank you for spending the day with us!
Thanks to our event sponsors!
Five Maples Development Communications