So you’ve heard that Star Island is holding an event called Starry Night on Saturday, November 19 at the Discover Portsmouth Center, but maybe you’re wondering, what exactly is Starry Night? Certainly you can look up at the sky during the evening and see your own starry night; why would you attend Star’s Starry Night? Here’s a brief description and suggested itinerary for how to spend your Starry Night with us.
Starry Night is, very simply, a fundraiser for Star Island. Through ticket sales and a silent auction, Star Island raises money to support our Annual Fund. Silent Auction? Yes, we have a number of outstanding offerings for Starry Night. Items include amazing pieces of art, gift certificates to local businesses and handcrafted goods.
First thing: come to Portsmouth! Portsmouth will be buzzing this weekend, so thanks for choosing Starry Night. Now that you’re in Portsmouth:
Saturday, November 19
- 9:00 AM – Enjoy breakfast at any number of great spots.
- 10:30 AM – Take a drive along US RT 1-A through the town of Rye, NH and take a glimpse of the Isles of Shoals. Our winter caretaker is on-island tending to matters, so know that everything is safe. Stop at one of the turn-offs and take a picture. If you strike a pose just right, it could even look like you’re holding Star Island.
- 11:30 AM – The Seacoast Science Center is open for visitors. Stop by and play in the touch tank to learn more about the Gulf of Maine — just as if you were visiting our Rutledge Marine Lab during the summer.
- 1:00 PM – There are so many places to eat in Portsmouth you may want to explore a few. Then you’ll know a great place or two to return to before or after your summer 2023 Star Island visit.
- 2:30 PM – Stroll the streets of Portsmouth. From independent booksellers to art galleries, Portsmouth has a number of interesting and unique places to pique your interest. You might even head over to the Portsmouth Public Library to see a portrait of Celia Thaxter. And if you’re in need of something sweet, we suggest a stroll down the far end of State Street to visit a hidden gem of a chocolate shop.
- 5:00 PM – Stroll into Starry Night and delight in the warmth of good conversation, tasty treats, and live music. Peruse the auction and bid on a favorite item. You’ll be entertained by the music of local musician Seth Gooby.
- 5:30 PM – Enjoy a fascinating talk by Isaac Fitzgerald about his time on Star Island, writing, and his latest memoir Dirtbag, Massachusetts.
- 6:15 PM – Continue to mingle, eat, drink and bid. Listen for the announcements about the silent auction ending.
- 7:30 PM – Starry Night concludes until next year and you’re free to gallivant around Portsmouth. Go grab some dinner!
Thank you for spending the day with us!
Thanks to our event sponsors!